“Children’s children are the crown of the elderly, and the pride of children are their parents.” Proverbs. 17:6
Grandparenthood is a very special blessing in one’s life. In the Catholic faith, we celebrate the feast day of Sts. Joachim & Anne, the parents of the Blessed Mother Mary and grandparents of Jesus on July 26th.
As early as 150 A.D. in Christian writing St. Anne was mentioned. Honoring St. Anne and Joachim started in the Eastern Church the 7th century.
There have been many scientific studies over the years regarding the benefits of grandparents and grandchildren spending time together. Here are some of those results:
- Emotionally close ties between grandparents and grandkids reduces depressive symptoms in both groups.
- Grandparents and grandchildren relationships also made for stronger family ties over all.
- Grandparents can share family history and family tree information.
- Grandparents offer routine and stability for their grandchildren.
Even though there is no mention in the bible about Jesus’ grandparents, I am sure he knew them well. Spending time together, they would have shared the stories of their families, made flat bread and even gone fishing. Jesus would have loved the wisdom of Joachim and the warm lap of Anne.
A few thoughts on Grandchildren:
- Grandchildren complete the circle of love.
- Grandchildren are like flowers water them with love and watch them bloom.
- I knew God loved me when I held my child in my arms. I realized God adored me when I held my grandchild in my arms.
- Even when my grandchildren are not in my arms, on my lap in my home, they still are in my heart where they will stay for
- A grandchild’s hug last long after they let go.
- Children are the rainbow of life. Grandchildren are the pot of gold.
The Bible does have a few things to say about the aged:
- Proverbs 16:31
- A gray head is a crown of glory; it is found in the way of righteousness.
- Leviticus 19:32
- You shall rise up before the grayheaded and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God, I am the Lord.
- Job 12:12
- Wisdom is with aged men, with long like is understanding.
I am thankful for my each of my 11 grandchildren and to have gained 6 grandchildren that Warren so graciously shared with me when we married. Each one so special, unique and each child is treasured beyond measure.